Thursday, June 22, 2006

Twisted Reality (TV)

A couple of weeks ago I discovered this reality TV show called “Breaking Bonaduce” and then last week I caught another episode. And yes, before anyone comments, I do know it’s been on for a while now. Anyway, the premise of the show is to follow and film the highly dysfunctional life of Danny Bonaduce, former child actor turned radio host/psychopath. To say this guy's life is a train-wreak would be like saying Chernobyl overheated. I have no doubt that one day a jury will be reviewing seasons 1 & 2 as evidence.

The cameras follow them throughout their day and you just can’t help but wonder why on earth his wife stays with him. Something makes me think it is nothing more than absolute fear and the lack of a Spousal Protection Plan. During the episodes that I saw they actually even go to therapy but, my gawd, I think the only thing their therapist does is bill them heavily to fund his plastic surgery. I highly doubt Oprah will be promoting this therapist to compete with Dr. Phil ! I imagine that every single person Danny Bonaduce has personal contact with will one day also need to seek professional help.

As I watched the episodes I couldn’t help but think (hope) that at least 1 member of the filming crew's sole responsibility must be to carry a semi-automatic tranquilizer gun and be at the ready for when Danny snaps. I say semi automatic because with the amount of vicodine, booze and steroids this guy ingests I don’t think a single tranquiller dart could stop him. Oh yeah, and did I mention Danny’s a 3rd level black belt too ? Can you say “dangerous ” ??

I think the safest thing for everyone would be to trick Danny Bonaduce into thinking he’s a contestant on Celebrity Survivor and then drop him off on some deserted island where he can detox and punch coconut trees.

I don’t think you can really understand what a freakshow Bonaduce is without actually seeing the show for yourself. I'm ashamed to admit it but I think I'm addicted. However, if somewhere down the line he hooks up with Tonya Harding, Gary Coleman, Webster or Alf…… CLICK !.

No comments: