Thursday, May 22, 2008

Why it takes me so long to blog

So here I stand on the train, where I do most of my writing, looking at the list of unpublished articles I've written wondering why the hell I sit on these for so long. And then it came to me, it's the editing and fine tuning that "I feel" I need to do before I deem them as post-worthy. ( I blame Nate and Paul for this - more to follow on that reasoning)

I know it's probably not noticeable from my previous posts but after I've written the meat of an article I spend a whack of time, time I don't really have - hence the lack of postings, polishing up the vocabulary, grammar, spelling, etc and making sure I don't just rattle off useless bullshit that nobody cares to hear anyway. Lastly, I'll reword it to be sure I don't offend anyone with the content or language and find a picture to go with it. Sometimes after all the editing, there is nothing left to post !

The reality is that anyone who reads my blog who knows me, has had a conversation with me, and knows I do not have the polished presence I am trying to portray. My vocabulary sucks, most of my conversations lack focus and at some point I will inevitably throw in a bizarre analogy that'll make you scratch your head.

Ok, back to Nate and Paul. It's not "really" their fault, its my own because I admire their ability to write. I work with both of these guys and read their blogs, although Paul posts less than I do !, and strive to meet the quality of their work. It ain't gonna happen so I need to move on. It doesn't mean I won't continue to try and better myself - that'd be stupid.

Paul once told me to blog for myself and not for others. So here it is, my first un-polished post and now that I've set the bar on what you can expect from me I feel liberated.

2 comments:

BrydenBlog said...

Nicely put, although I beg to differ on me posting less than you. A quick wander through the archive shows the BrydenBlog with 39 and AKA Eddie with 19 blog entries. Despite that significant difference, I do applaud your commitment to write for yourself and not for the grammar police; your readers will find that more true to life and refreshing. Blog on!

Anonymous said...

i rite polised prose on purpose to annoyt you blaine.

-NH