Wednesday, April 11, 2007

The Running Man


Another big change I made this year was that I started running.

This was originally inspired by yet another challenge with my brother-in-law when we agreed to run 10 K for the Mothers Day Walk & Run here in Calgary. The rules were simple - complete 10 K without stopping or walking with no time limit. The biggest challenge was that neither of us were runners and both on the "not so lean" side. My brother in-law has since dropped out of the challenge fearing that he'll have a gripper on the course since he hasn’t trained at all. So it has now become a personal challenge for me to complete the 10 K and collect my prize. Bwahahahahaha !

Anyway, I have been running now for 9 weeks and have covered just over 155 K ! This is a vast improvement over my previous efforts where I would go out and run for an hour until my legs felt like they were on fire, my shines felt like they had splintered and I'd puke when I stopped and never run again. There are a couple of reasons that I have been successful this time :

I bought proper, fitted running shoes. Actually I got them for Christmas so a huge thank-you goes out to my parent in-laws !

I found a great running plan. Actually....my buddy Paul found a 13 week training guide to go from zero to 60 ( running minutes ) in 13 weeks specifically for the Mother's day race. So a huge thanks to Paul too !

The other thing that has been great is the Nike + running kit for my iPod. It keeps track of all my runs and then uploads them to my personal log on the Nike + site. I love music and have compiled a couple of running playlists that helps set my pace and motivates me to keep going even when I dont want to. I just found this online and am not sure if I can get a set in time for the big race. :)


If you are a runner theres a great site call Map My Run to help map out your runs and figure out your distances. Be sure to check it out, it's really cool


Just over 4 weeks to the big day !

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That Nike + / iPod combination looks really cool! Almost makes me want to switch from biking to running just so I can buy it.